CELEBRITY GIST — After many years of trying, Nollywood Yoruba actress Laide Bakare has finally been granted her U.S Citizenship Certificate which automatically confers on her, the full rights of an American citizen.
Laide Bakare US Citizenship
The citizenship certificate is being rumored to be the obvious reason for her long stay in the United States of America and explains her visible absence in the Nigerian movie scene lately.
This is coming as a double celebration for her, as Laide Bakare birthday party is being planned for October 7. She has been away in the United States for some time and we can visibly see the result of her trip.
Now you may be wondering, who can become a U.S citizen?
In order for one to become a U.S citizen the person must first legally immigrate to the U.S. and live there for at least five years. Immigrants can apply for a permanent resident card called a Green Card. In addition, immigrants must be 18 years old, have demonstrated good moral character, be able to speak and understand English, and be willing to take an oath of loyalty to the United States.
Interesting Facts about Becoming a US Citizen
- People who are born in the United States are automatically considered citizens of the country. They are called “native” citizens.
- People who immigrate to the U.S and then become citizens are regarded as “naturalized” citizens.
- Some people may be eligible for American citizenship without reaching all the normal requirements.
- Children under 18 can become naturalized citizens if their parents file an application on behalf of the child.
- Around 680,000 people legally become U.S. citizens each year.
All that being said, congratulations to Nollywood actress Laide Bakare on her US Citizenship!
Get more GIST like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting nollywood news and celebrity gist in your email inbox.