The couple, during a joint interview with Punch, revealed their romantic moments, how he proposed, how he has been faithful, having a joint account, how he can never cheat on her.
According to Okojie, “love means Mercy“.
Read in full below:
How did you meet each other?
• Odi: I met Mercy for the first time in 2008 on a flight from France. We both flew Business Class and I asked for her number but she refused. She was very down-to-earth even as a celebrity. I know how a lot of them behave but she is different. Being very focused and a go-getter, I did everything I could just to have her including her number after I set my eyes on her.
• Mercy: After the flight episode, he came around to Surulere where I was getting my hair done at a saloon. Somehow, he had gotten my number and we spoke. We talked and later had dinner.
Was it a case of love at first sight for both of you?
• Odi: Yes, it was. I realised in no time that she is homely and everyone who comes in contact with her just loves her.
• Mercy: I love his personality and I am in love with everything about him. He knew I was an actress but he didn’t know I was that popular. I remember the very first day I got to his house, he asked someone to buy some condiments for me to prepare soup for him. Then, I said, ‘You must be joking, my name is Mercy Johnson’ and all he said was, ‘I know.’ That simple action drew me closer to him.
How did he propose?
• Mercy: During a conversation, he suggested that we take our relationship to the next level. While we were dating, I knew we would get married because he became a part of my life and we were very passionate about each other. There was a day we attended a wedding and he said, ‘I think our wedding cake should have a tint of this colour.’ It didn’t take me up to five months and I already knew the basics before we wedded. Also, I cut down on my unclad dresses. He made me understand that with age, you have to let go of certain things because life is a phase.
Do you watch her movies?
• Odi: No. That is because I don’t really have time to watch Nollywood movies. I would rather watch the news and a little bit of soccer whenever my busy schedule permits me.
How do you handle disagreements?
• Odi: We hardly disagree but since we wedded, I don’t think we have had any reason to invite a third party. We play a lot and handle issues maturely.
• Mercy: He apologises in funny ways. Since I had the baby, whenever he offends me, he will play a particular CD and then teases me. He simply does things that make me laugh.
Do you run a joint account?
• Mercy: He is concerned about the welfare of the family and has been like that from the outset of our relationship. While we were dating, he would give me money to make my hair and buy make-up irrespective of the fact that I also earn my own money. He does things that every husband should do for his wife. It was his idea. I am the sole signatory but my money is not in the account.
• Odi: I love her dearly and I just want her to be independent and have access to funds whenever she desires without my permission.
Did it test the strength of your love for your husband?
• Mercy: Yes, it did and I did not lose any friends because I never really had any. I got to understand the mindset of people who believe it is hard for you to be happy for someone when you don’t have what they have. They criticize what you have, yet they pray everyday for it. It taught me to always think of myself first because people will always have opinions.
Can you cheat on your spouse?
• Mercy: Never! Moreso, I have absolute trust in him.
• Odi: God forbid that I do such.
What does Valentine and love mean to you as a couple?
• Odi: Love means Mercy. We plan to have a quiet outing and take my family out to dinner. If I have any reason to love, then I must love her over and again in my lifetime.
• Mercy: God is love but if I have to give love a second definition, I would say, love is Odi.
What’s your thoughts on this lovely couple?
Get more GIST like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting nollywood news and celebrity gist in your email inbox.